The Spartan Garden: Corvallis High School Integration
The Spartan Garden provides an easily accessible outdoor learning resource, where connections can be made to multiple disciplines. The Healthy Youth Program’s Garden Manager is working with CHS students and teachers to make these connections. Below is a list of current, planned and potential projects in the garden:
- Students in the Horticulture classes have taken on the task of garden maintenance and starting all vegetables from seed.
- Students in the Woodworking & Engineering Practices & Construction classes have built two tool sheds and are working on constructing the vegetable wash/prep station.
- Visual arts students are designing art elements for the garden, including a new sign for the entrance arbor. They will also host a “clothesline” art show in the garden.
- Ceramics students are creating tiles for the cooking table-tops, and also plan to make plates and bowls for the cooking area and a garden fountain.
- Students in the Foods and Culinary Art classes will be using food from the garden in their cooking classes. They will also work with the Corvallis Environmental Center to extend their "Tasting Tables" program to CHS, offering samples of produce from the garden to students and teachers.
- Students in the Leadership class, English Writing classes, and Digital Photography classes will be invited to help with the publication of a Spartan Garden Newsletter. Digital Photography students will chronicle progress in the garden through a photographic journal.
- Students in the Biology and Sustainability classes will be invited to use the Spartan Garden as an outdoor field site; the Garden Manager will work with teachers to develop projects around the theme of environmental science and sustainability.
The Spartan Garden will also provide students with opportunities for Service Learning, to fulfill their Career Shadow Experience and Extended Application requirements, and to earn credit for Internships and Structured Work Experience. Any students interested in these opportunities, please see Donna Keim in the CHS Career-Related Learning office.
<- Back to Spartan Garden