US Government Sites
- Cancer.gov Cancer Information
Current information about cancer from the National Cancer Institute.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans
Dietary guidelines published jointly every five years by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- Dietary Supplements
US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
Information and warnings about dietary supplements from the FDA.
- Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine
Includes tables of Dietary Reference Intakes for vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients.
- Food and Nutrition Information Center
Food and nutrition information and resources from the US Department of Agriculture.
A guide to health information from the US Department of Health and Human Services.
- MEDLINE plus
Health information from the National Library of Medicine.
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health
Information for consumers and practitioners on complementary and alternative therapies.
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute Health Information
Information regarding cardiovascular, lung, and blood diseases, and sleep disorders.
- National Institute on Aging Health Information
Information and resources regarding aging, Alzheimer's disease, and related disorders.
- National Institute of Diabetes & Digestive & Kidney Disease Health Information
Health information on diabetes, digestive diseases, endocrine (hormonal) and metabolic diseases, hematologic (blood) diseases, kidney diseases, and nutrition.
- National Library of Medicine PubMed
A search engine for the MEDLINE database.
- Office of Dietary Supplements at the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Information and resources regarding dietary supplements, including the IBIDS dietary supplements database.
- Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center
NIH resource center for osteoporosis and other bone disease such as Paget's disease, osteogenesis imperfects, and hyperparathyroidism.
- USDA Nutrient Data Laboratory
Includes a search engine for the nutritional composition of over 8,000 foods.
Dietary Reference Intakes (DRI) and Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA)
Full text versions of the recent reports by the Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine on recommended intakes of specific nutrients
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Phosphorus, Magnesium, and Fluoride
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, and Choline
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Selenium, and Carotenoids
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Arsenic, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Silicon, Vanadium, and Zinc
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrates, Fiber, Fat, Protein and Amino Acids (Macronutrients)
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium and Vitamin D
Other Health-related Links