2. Dunn JT. What's happening to our iodine? J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998;83(10):3398-3400. (PubMed)
3. Larsen PR, Davies TF, Hay ID. The thyroid gland. In: Wilson JD, Foster DW, Kronenberg HM, Larsen PR, eds. Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. 9th ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company; 1998:389-515.
5. de Benoist B, McLean E, Andersson M, Rogers L. Iodine deficiency in 2007: global progress since 2003. Food Nutr Bull. 2008;29(3):195-202. (PubMed)
6. Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine. Iodine. Dietary reference intakes for vitamin A, vitamin K, boron, chromium, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, silicon, vanadium, and zinc. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press; 2001:258-289. (National Academy Press)
8. Levander OA, Whanger PD. Deliberations and evaluations of the approaches, endpoints and paradigms for selenium and iodine dietary recommendations. J Nutr. 1996;126(9 Suppl):2427S-2434S. (PubMed)
9. DeLong GR, Leslie PW, Wang SH, et al. Effect on infant mortality of iodination of irrigation water in a severely iodine-deficient area of China. Lancet. 1997;350(9080):771-773. (PubMed)
10. Hetzel BS. Iodine and neuropsychological development. J Nutr. 2000;130(2S Suppl):493S-495S. (PubMed)
11. Tiwari BD, Godbole MM, Chattopadhyay N, Mandal A, Mithal A. Learning disabilities and poor motivation to achieve due to prolonged iodine deficiency. Am J Clin Nutr. 1996;63(5):782-786. (PubMed)
13. Becker DV, Braverman LE, Delange F, et al. Iodine supplementation for pregnancy and lactation-United States and Canada: recommendations of the American Thyroid Association. Thyroid. 2006;16(10):949-951. (PubMed)
14. Zimmermann MB, Jooste PL, Pandav CS. Iodine-deficiency disorders. Lancet. 2008;372(9645):1251-1262. (PubMed)
16. Knudsen N, Bulow I, Laurberg P, Ovesen L, Perrild H, Jorgensen T. Association of tobacco smoking with goiter in a low-iodine-intake area. Arch Intern Med. 2002;162(4):439-443. (PubMed)
17. Remer T, Neubert A, Manz F. Increased risk of iodine deficiency with vegetarian nutrition. Br J Nutr. 1999;81(1):45-49. (PubMed)
19. Zimmermann MB, Aeberli I, Torresani T, Burgi H. Increasing the iodine concentration in the Swiss iodized salt program markedly improved iodine status in pregnant women and children: a 5-y prospective national study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005;82(2):388-392. (PubMed)
20. Thomson CD, Woodruffe S, Colls A, Doyle TD. Urinary iodine and thyroid status of New Zealand residents. In: Roussel AM, Anderson RA, Favier A, eds. Trace Elements in Man and Animals. Vol 10. New York: Kluwer Academic Press; 2000:343-344.
21. Hollowell JG, Staehling NW, Hannon WH, et al. Iodine nutrition in the United States. Trends and public health implications: iodine excretion data from National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys I and III (1971-1974 and 1988-1994). J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998;83(10):3401-3408. (PubMed)
22. Caldwell KL, Miller GA, Wang RY, Jain RB, Jones RL. Iodine status of the U.S. population, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003-2004. Thyroid. 2008;18(11):1207-1214. (PubMed)
23. Iodine Level, United States, 2000. [Web page]. January, 2007. National Center for Health Statistics. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/iodine.htm. Accessed 7/11/2007.
24. Zanzonico PB, Becker DV. Effects of time of administration and dietary iodine levels on potassium iodide (KI) blockade of thyroid irradiation by 131I from radioactive fallout. Health Phys. 2000;78(6):660-667. (PubMed)
26. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Consideration of potassium iodide in emergency plans. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Final rule. Fed Regist. 2001;66(13):5427-5440. (PubMed)
27. Eskin BA, Grotkowski CE, Connolly CP, Ghent WR. Different tissue responses for iodine and iodide in rat thyroid and mammary glands. Biol Trace Elem Res. 1995;49(1):9-19. (PubMed)
28. Ghent WR, Eskin BA, Low DA, Hill LP. Iodine replacement in fibrocystic disease of the breast. Can J Surg. 1993;36(5):453-460. (PubMed)
29. Kessler JH. The effect of supraphysiologic levels of iodine on patients with cyclic mastalgia. Breast J. 2004;10(4):328-336. (PubMed)
30. Pennington JAT, Schoen SA, Salmon GD, Young B, Johnson RD, Marts RW. Composition of core foods of the U.S. food supply, 1982-1991. III. Copper, manganese, selenium, iodine. J Food Comp Anal. 1995;8:171-217.
33. Feldt-Rasmussen U. Iodine and cancer. Thyroid. 2001;11(5):483-486. (PubMed)